Bernard T. Janney is born.
Bernard T. Janney was born in Loudoun County, Virginia. His education was interrupted by the Civil War, in which he fought with the Union forces, even though most of his family and neighbors sympathized with the Confederate cause. Mr. Janney rose to the rank of Captain.
When the school was dedicated in 1925, R. L. Haycock, a former superintendent of schools, said, “Mr. Janney was universally known and highly esteemed throughout all of this section. He held a… close relation to the pupils, teachers, and citizens generally in Georgetown and its environs. To his teachers he was a sympathetic and generous friend, and toward young people everywhere he maintained a spirit of comradeship. Much of his success as a teacher and administrator was due to this admirable characteristic. A tall man of dignified and soldierly bearing, he was an impressive figure when he walked into a classroom. The children liked to have him come. They were fond of Mr. Janney’s bay horse, Robin, which he hitched to a buggy for years. Often when the snow was deep in winter the merry tinkling of sleigh bells announced the coming of Mr. Janney. Frequently he brought with him his dog, a beautiful collie that had been well taught how to behave in a classroom.”
Janney opens its doors.
Janney Elementary School was built in 1925 and opened its doors in September of that year to grades three through eight. Lower grades remained at the original Tenley School.
Janney’s western addition was completed in 1932, and an open house was held in April of that year. The early grades that had remained at the original Tenley School moved into Janney. Construction had begun on Alice Deal Junior High School, and Janney’s seventh and eighth graders moved to Deal at the start of the 1931-1932 school year.
A significant expansion and renovation adds 42,000 square feet to the historic landmark. Janney received the 2012 Outstanding Design award by American School & University magazine and was featured in the 2012 Architectural Portfolio.
Artist Kevin Reese worked with students to design a mobile for the atrium and a sculpture that sits outside on the north side of the building.
A little more space…
Another addition was completed for the 2014 school year, adding several classrooms.
The Good of the Hive
Second Lady Karen Pence attends a ribbon cutting for a mural at Janney, as part of The Good of the Hive. Renowned muralist Matthew Willey has committed to painting 50,000 bees on murals around the world to call attention to the plight of honeybees and other pollinators. In 2016, Mr. Willey accepted an invitation by Sanah Hutchins, a seven-year old student, to paint a mural at Janney.
Check out the recently updated Janney Days.
Written in 2001 by Jeanne Beck Hanrahan and Ginny Callanen, the book covers the history of our school reflected in the events of the day since its beginnings in 1925, with interviews of and reflections from alumni. Anita Seline continues this exploration in the next chapter of our beloved school, including more interviews and reflections and many beautiful photographs.
Books may be purchased for $25 and picked up in the Janney front office. Pay by credit card online or by check in the office (payable to Janney PTA). Books may be mailed for an additional $5. To request mailing, please indicate the mailing address at time of purchase.
The original edition of Janney Days, designed by Janney parent and alum Ellen Baker Smyth, is out of print.
Click here to view a PDF.
Janney has a rich history of archives and scrapbooks which reflect the social mores and customs of the time. We are beginning to scan some of these crumbling books so that they are available for viewing. Take a look!