- Janney is a nut-free school. This policy includes those products that have peanuts and tree nuts in the ingredients list. Please check for nut products/by-products in foods sent to school. Products that list nuts in the ingredients are not permitted.
- School breakfast is free for those who qualify. For a DCPS breakfast menu, visit the DCPS website and select Janney’s breakfast menu.
- Students in grades k – 5 have 30 minutes for lunch in the multipurpose room and 30 minutes for recess (outside as weather permits). Kindergarten and 1st grade eat from 11:45-12:15; 2nd and 3rd grade eat from 12:15-12:45; and 4th and 5th grades eat from 12:45-1:15.
- Pre-K students eat lunch in their classrooms from 12:00 – 12:30.
- Students may bring their lunch in a lunchbox or purchase lunch from the school’s catering service for $2.00. Milk, if bought separately from lunch, costs 35 cents. Prices are valid as of July 30, and are subject to change. For a DCPS lunch menu, visit the DCPS website and select Janney’s lunch menu. In order to purchase lunch or milk at school, parents must either give a check to the front office or prepay for lunch through a service called MyLunchMoney. While using MyLunchMoney is the preferred method, if a parent wishes to pay by check, it should be made out to DC Treasurer. A tab will be created for the child that can be drawn down as the student gets lunch and/or milk. When the funds run low, a letter will be sent home with the student. No Cash will be accepted.
- Students may not use the vending machines or microwave in the staff room.
- Application forms for subsidized breakfast and lunch are distributed to all students during the school registration process.
- Pre-K and Kindergarten students have morning snack in their rooms. Parents share in the responsibility for providing snack with a schedule set at the beginning of the year.
- Students in grades 1-5 have the option to bring a snack in their lunchboxes.