Janney Dos and Don’ts, From Principal Lycknell
Learning the Dos and Don’ts of a new community (and early on!) can be enormously helpful. While I promise we are all standing by to offer assistance along the way and you’ll learn many more details about student and parent life in the Family Handbook and our weekly newsletter, here is a starting list that might serve you well as members of the Janney Elementary School community.
- Read aloud to your children, no matter their age.
- Stop by the Security Desk when you visit the School, even if for a moment. For every child’s safety, visitors must wear a Janney badge inside the building.
- Join us for Jamboree at 8:35 on the South Terrace every day (starting September 6th) – but don’t feel obligated (we understand you have a day’s worth of commitments as well. Please enjoy those you do attend from the parent gallery.
- Feel comfortable saying goodbye to your child from Jamboree each morning, and from their lines on the first day of school. At 8:34 A.M., students line up in their lines and at 8:40 A.M. they enter the building in the capable company of their teachers. (*PreK exempt until September 10th)
- Take advantage of Janney’s wonderful Care program, JAC, and our fantastic Janney Enrichment Program.
- Read the weekly school and classroom newsletters or emails. It takes a moment, but you will feel far more informed.
- Call on your Room Parent to assist you when questions arise – or offer to be one yourself.
- Set aside time to attend Back to School Night. Afterwards, set aside time to read the Family Handbook with care and mark your calendar with upcoming events for our school community.
- Check your child’s backpack nightly. Tuesday is our official “mail day” and requires your signature.
- Bookmark the Janney ES website as a “favorite” on your work/home computer. www.janneyschool.org Frequent your classroom website as well.
- Join our effort to be good environmental stewards and healthy consumers. We love cloth napkins, reusable containers, and nutritious snacks and have active recycling and green teams!
- Attend our Community/PTA meetings.
- Keep a valid and active phone number on file in the main office and with your classroom teacher.
- Share outside evaluation information with the school. Don’t worry, we’ll keep it confidential. And, we have a full complement of support services.
- Park in the school lot (especially at dismissal). There are barely enough spaces for staff parking we do tow.
- Drop off a late child and keep going! Students who arrive after 8:50 must come in to the building with an adult to sign in.
- Allow your child to play on playground unsupervised.
- Hesitate to make an appointment to speak with your child’s teacher, the principal, or someone else on the Janney staff if you have questions or concerns.
- Think a new parent has to wait to get to know the place before getting involved! We have plenty of need for volunteers with all skill sets (playdates, volunteers, club leaders, committees, etc.)
- Be surprised when the principal’s recorded voice is on the other end of the phone line. It is our automated message system called Connect-ED.
- Hide your expertise. We have a full-blown clubs program that would welcome you. From woodworking to international policy negotiation…we’re interested!
- Disregard the parking signs. The city parking police are vigilant.
- Send in a peanut butter sandwich for lunch.
- Allow a small worry to become a bigger problem. If you have a wondering or a wish, please come share it!
Janney’s detailed handbook of policies and procedures is now online. Find out important information about attendance, conduct, drop-off, pick-up, lunch, security, technology, and more.